Thursday, May 13, 2010

Jesus' Bizarre Prayer Request, John 17:20-26

How do you feel when someone prays for you outloud and you didn't even request prayer? Are you comforted or do you feel intruded upon? Maybe it depends somewhat on what the pray-er asks for on your behalf.

I wonder how the disciples felt when Jesus interceded for them in the 17th chapter of John's gospel. This is the part of the gospel we refer to as Jesus' farewell discourse. Here, Jesus prays for his disciples just before his death. I bet the disciples felt strange though during this prayer. After all, it was not like our intercessory prayers. Now if the Son of God was going to pray for me, I'd really like him to petition God for my health, financial security, joyful family life, health and happiness for those I love, and my happiness and safety. Throw in a request for open parking spaces close to the front door of the church each time I head down there in the evenings, and I'd be ecstatic. Now that would be a prayer!

Jesus doesn't pray like that for his disciples. Rather, he offers a bizarre petition: "As you, Father, are in me and I in you, may they also be in us, so the world may believe that you have sent me" (vs. 21). Jesus prays that his followers would be drawn into the life of the Holy Trinity. This, of course, is not your usual petition. The reality being referred to is deeply mystical. It's hard to wrap your head around. The Johannine theology is wondrous: The Father sends the Son to humanity precisely so that the Son may draw all humanity into the relationship that exists between Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Whatever the status of your life is right now. Whether the glass is half empty or half full or pretty close to downright empty, you reside in God. Even all your seeking, doubts and uncertanties are experienced while in the security of the Trinity's joyful dance of relationship.

Think about that for awhile.

1 comment:

  1. It seems to me as if Jesus is also teaching us to pray. Not in a “me,me,me” kind of way, but in a way that is global. He not only includes the Apostles in his petition, but he also includes his hopes for the world, to realize that they are apart of God as he is apart of God. Jesus seemed to be trying to subvert the natural human condition of the dominating 'ego'.

    ReplyDelete